14 September 2019
What is The Fire Ball? Well, much like The Winter Blast, this is an old school mtg tournament in Toronto, Ontario. This time, however, we have a ballroom as our event space, so we might as well dress fancy and enjoy the affair, no?
We’ll be playing by Eternal Central Rules, in a Swiss format, with an option to drop and play side events after round 3.
Facebook Event page is here: https://www.facebook.com/events/2667118909984581
Full details and registration are here: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-fire-ball-a-toronto-old-school-mtg-tournament-tickets-64892372834
The goals of our events are as follows:
- Have fun
- Support a charity
- Build community
- Provide a safe space to come and enjoy Magic
- Our Code of Conduct has more details
- Eternal Central rules – https://www.eternalcentral.com/9394rules/
- 60 card minimum decks, 1-15 card sideboard.
- one proxy is allowed, a Chaos Orb
- 1 Free mulligan, followed by London Mulligan
- Structure is Swiss with a cut to top 4, time permitting.
- 50 minutes per round.
- Best of 3 games per round.
- No draws. The win will go to the player with the fewest Strip Mines. If both players have the same number of Strip Mines, the game will be decided by Orb flips.
- Side events will be available beginning after the third round.
- Fire Ball Champion – Chronicles City of Brass signed by all attendees
- Top Four of the Swiss
- Player Signed Card for Each Attendee (please bring one)
Additional prizes will be awarded at the organizer’s discretion for:
- Highest Placing UnPowered/Budget Deck
- Spiciest Deck
- Largest Fireball
- Most game wins by Fireball
- Farthest Traveled
Extra Fun Stuff & Side Events:
- Orb Flip Contest
- Raffles Between Rounds
- Goblin King and Sorceress Queen of the Ball
- Side events (Alpha40, Revised 40, Baller 40, Two-Headed Giant, Sealed, etc.)
Some things you could win are posted here: http://geocitiesofbrass.com/the-fire-ball-prizes-2019/
All proceeds raised at the door and via side events, raffles, etc. will be donated to Free Grassy – http://freegrassy.net, a group of First Nations activists working to reclaim their land, water, health, and way of life 80 km north of Kenora, Ontario.
Bring With You:
- Your Deck
- Cash for entrance, cash bar, raffles, and side events. No ATM on site.
- A Card for the Prize Pool
- Dress Up (optional, but we’re in a ball room)
10:30 am – Doors open, registration begins. We’ll still be setting up, so you might be put to work, but it’s also a good time to chat w/ one another, play some games, trade some cards, etc.
11:30 am – Round 1 Begins
2:30 pm – Break for Food
3:00 pm – Round 4 and Side Events Begin
7:30 pm – Prizes Awarded and Pack Up
8:00 pm – Get Out
Come prepared to have fun.